Pros & Cons of Moving to Santa Cruz, CA with my boyfriend.
Created by LRod on 03/04/2010
My man landed a fancy, new job in Santa Cruz, where he is moving @ the end of June 2010. I am a student wrapping up a PhD in English, I also teach for my home institution. Next school year, I *could* forego my teaching to move, as my main responsibility will be to bang out my dissertation. I have a good work ethic, so I'm not too worried about that. A big concern for me is securing some kind of income for myself once I'm out there. I've applied for a fellowship, but that's not guaranteed.
1. Away from RI!
2. No students to deal with.
3. Warmer/ more pleasant weather.
4. Nicer people in Santa Cruz/ more laid-back vibe.
5. Rent-free living!
6. Far, far away from politicking, back-biting colleagues and deptartmental drama.
7. Far, far away from politicking, back-biting colleagues and deptartmental drama.
8. Far, far away from politicking, back-biting colleagues and deptartmental drama.
9. Closer to a couple key scholars with whom I'd like to get in touch.
10. Far, far away from my crazy, conservative family and horrid hometown.
1. What if something horrible happens between my man and I? How will I afford to leave CA?
2. Fewer possibilities to meet with my committee, re: dissertation chapter drafts, revisions, etc.
3. Worried that I might get lonely; always workin on my dissertation, my guy travelling for work/ working long hours, etc.
4. None of my close friends/ select sane family members will be nearby, in case I need tham.
5. My department/ dissertation committee *might* not be pleased with my decision...
6. I have no employment set up for myself out there.
7. Moving in the last year of my teaching assistantship *might* (politically speaking) hurt my chances of receiving a fellowship next year.