Pros & Cons of Emergency Contraceptives
Created by gharris95 on 05/28/2012
This Pro-con list highlights the different viewpoints of abortion right and anti-abortion supporters in response to the FDA approval of the emergency contraceptive Ella. The pro side is the abortion rights activists. The con side is the belief of the anti-abortion activists.
1. It is progress for women's rights.
2. It gives women another option of preventing an unplanned pregnancy.
3. Argue it does not cause an abortion just prevents an unplanned pregnancy.
4. Ella is a much more effective emergency contraceptive. It is effective at preventing the pregnancy for at least 120 hours after taking it whereas Plan B begins to lose its effectiveness almost immediately after taking it and is ineffective after 72 hours.
5. Studies have shown minor side effects.
6. Argue other side is trying to confuse the issues and is not just opposed to abortion but also a women's right to contraceptives.
1. Anti Abortionists believe that emergency contraceptives are the equivalent of an abortion.
2. It is like an abortifacient.It resembles the abortifacent RU-486, because Ella also represses progesterone which is how it interferes with the pregnancy.
3. It does not just prevent pregnancy, it also kills the embryo.
4. Claim the drug is unsafe.
5. It is a medical abortion.
6. Argue FDA did not do enough research on the impacts on women's health.